Monday, July 9, 2018

Mental Illness & Double Standards


There is a lot of stigma out there when it comes to mental illness, a lot of people grow up in families that have this idea that mental illness is all in your head. I know, I know. It is all in your head, ha ha, but what I mean is that you are simply over thinking a small problem. Depression isn't real, it's an illusion. You're just sad. You don't have anxiety you worry too much. Stop thinking all the time. Like those of us with these problems can stop our brains from being the way they are. Too many people out there think mental illness is not a real thing, when you have a breakdown it's because you're weak. Hell, I grew up in one of those households.


I used to believe that I couldn't be depressed if I knew what depression was, because then I would just be faking it since I knew the symptoms. “I'm must be looking for attention” (this is something my mom told me). Yes, it sounds stupid when I say that out loud, but in my family it made total sense. I needed to toughen up, focus on the here and now, I'm not depressed. All of this is a dangerous road to take when it comes to any mental illness, ignoring the problem does nothing but make it worse.

Would you ignore a lump in your breast? How about an oozing sore in your mouth? Or you know a toe that just happens to fall off?

For everyone of them an average person would head right over to the doctor for treatment. (I say average person because I know a guy that literally let his toe rot away until the bone was showing, while knowing about it the whole time and having health insurance. Lucky bastard.)


With all this negative and avoidance type response to mental illness I feel the need to share a positive story about mental illness when it comes along. Hit the link and read about this amazing mother who helped her son when he came to her. It really hits the feels.


There is not a lot of details in the story, and the mom didn't do anything super special and over the top to help her son. Instead she listened, took in what he had to say, and went to get him help. She stood by his side, and really that is HUGE!!!!

Give her the mother of the fucking decade award! Any parent that listens to their children about their problems, believes them—validates what they are feeling, and then sets out to help them through it. Damn, parent of the year right there, because there are a lot of parents out there like my own mother who. . . who don't give a single shit about their kids. While they, themselves, suffer from mental illness and at times pass it down to their children, these people still stick their noses up at the idea of depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, ect. They teach their children that mental illness isn't real, depression isn't real, and for those who take meds for such things are completely nuts.

Like my cousin, Bee. She has always had her problems, and being a spoiled brat is a big one of them, but she also has a mental illness. She is clinically depressed and is bipolar, and ever since I can remember when Dani talked about Bee this is how it went.


“My poor sister dealing with a mental case for a daughter. . . Bee is nuts she just needs to get her shit together. . . There is nothing really wrong with her, she just likes attention.”

My extend family was nice to her and allowed her to come to family things, but what Bee didn't know was she was shunned. Family members whispered about her behind her back, some suggested she be locked up in a hospital, and others thought she needed her own straight-jacket. Nice family.


Knowing how my family sees mental illness and how I was raised to think anyone with head problems should be committed, it was a big deal for me to confide in my mom about what was going with me. We briefly went over depression, suicide and other mental illnesses in health class. I knew the basics and still I refused to believe I was depressed in my teens, even though I knew I was. When I hit about 15 or 16 I started doing things I didn't understand, I was rebelling. Taking things apart, crying in secret all the time, wanting to burn myself. When Dani asked, in complete annoyance at my behavior, what was wrong I broke down. I cried in hysterics and told her I didn't know, that I felt all over the place. I kept repeating I didn't know what was wrong with me, that I cried all the time, I was restless, and a lot of times I couldn't sleep. It was like something you see in a movie. The main character having a complete breakdown and getting it all off their chest, and from there things are suppose to get better.

Well, it didn't. Not for me, because this is life and not a movie. Dani hugged me, told me to clean my face up, and then went into the school to get my brother and sister from basketball practice. Or whatever they were doing.


We never talked about it again. Dani never brought it up, never offered to help me, or take me to a therapist. It simply never happened. My big moment of emotional release—of truth—and it was like it never happened. I know I have recalled this moment before on here, so why am I retelling it.

Two reasons. 1. So newcomers don't have to go back and find it, and 2. because there is more to the story.

How could there be more, right? What other bullshit could Dani have done?

Hold on to your seats because I'm about to reveal just how much of an outcast I was in my own family. When I was in the 5-6 grade Dani and CJ (my stepfather) started having real problems. To be fair they have always had problems, my earliest memory of them together is yelling, screaming, a laundry basket being put through a motel room window, and the police showing up. When I say they started having real problems, what I mean is CJ's temper reached a new violent level, and his cheating stopped being so secret. Dani did the right thing and kicked his ass out, but then she fell apart and so did my brother and sister. They were young, super young. My brother had just started kindergarten, and the fighting on visitation days effected us all.

My brother was most effected, which I believe was due to the fact he had speech problems growing up. He had his own language about the time he should have been talking, one only my sister and I understood and would often translate for everyone. Expression was not his strong point and when the split happened he started chewing on his shirt collars. He would go through two to three shirts a day because his front would be soaking wet. It got so bad his lips and chin were chapped all the time. My sister got more impossible. For a four year old she knew how to manipulate the hell out of people. She knew what buttons to push to get a rise out of anyone, and damn if she wasn't an exasperate at that, still is till this day. Clearly they had developed some mental illness as a result of their parents breaking up, not to mention the emotional abuse from their father and probably sexual at some point (hell he did it to me, I wouldn't be surprised).


Why am I telling you all this? What point am I trying to make?

Well these behaviors came off and on way into my brother and sister's teen years, and a lot it went away and then came back and got worse when CJ married his new wife. This was right around the time I had my breakdown. You know what my mom did for my brother and sister?

Anytime any of their symptoms showed up she took them straight to their therapist. Yep, she took them to therapy. Dani researched for the best child therapist in the area to help with family problems, and dealing with stress. She took them each twice a week to talk to someone. She told them it was alright and that things were going to get better, hell she even saw the same doctor sometimes herself. Me. . . I was left out in the waiting room. I never got the help I needed, Dani instead told me to grow up—man-up—we are independent women, we don't have time for crying.


I was in crisis, I reached out but I never got any help. Even after her boyfriend sexually assaulted me, Dani never offered me to talk to anyone. Okay, I take that back. She wanted me to talk to the priest at our church. An old man with shaky hands, uhhh, no thank you.

The day after the assault happened Dani turned it into something all about her. I was the one taken advantage of, and yet somehow it was all about her. She was the afflicted one because she lost her man, and it was her daughter that was attacked, the poor woman!

We arrived at my brother and sister's school/our church and everyone knew about what happened. The teachers were coming up to me apologizing, saying how sorry they were for what happened. God, I didn't want anyone to know. Getting through the police interview the night before was hard enough.

Everyone fucking knew I was sexually assaulted, do you know how embarrassing that was? How mortified and off guard I felt? It was hell all over again, I might as well have been raped right there all over again, for everyone to see.


Dani, the amazing person she is, proudly turned her nose up and said, “she's handling it perfectly. I talked to a therapist this morning about it and he said Jackie not acting like a victim is a good thing.”

Not acting like a victim? Fuck, I didn't even know what was going on 90% of the time. Which way was up or down, I just wanted it to go away. Which is NOT a healthy way to deal with it. But she never once took me to talk to anyone, I was never given the help I needed. Instead I was paraded around like a brave child Dani had raised. Yes, she instilled this strength in me. My bravery as all her. While I suffered alone and in silence she peacocked.


However, my brother and sister start acting out and right to therapy they go. The double standards in my family are. . . well, I never saw them until a few years ago. I thought this was all normal, it's traumatizing when you find out your normal is an average person's hell. I often feel emotionally handicapped.

I would like to end by saying, good for you, to this inspiring mother, and add I wish she was my mom. I might have stood some type of chance in life. I wouldn't have the scars and wounds I carry now, and maybe—just maybe—I could make it through a day without haunting memories or having a breakdown over a few dropped eggs.


Here's to us survivors that were given no support and shamed for our mental illness, spread the word and never ignore someone that opens up to you. It takes a lot for anyone to admit they are struggling.

#AwesomeMom #MentalIllnessAwareness #Depression #Anxiety #SaveALife
~Jax~

No comments:

Post a Comment