Monday, August 13, 2018

Best Anniversary Gift


It's been awhile, a lot has happened. Mainly around the house. We got a new furnace put in, which lead us to wanting to make some changes downstairs, and has now turned into a slight overhaul of our basement. Anyone that owns their own home knows what I'm talking about. Despite all the chaos going on right now I wanted to share something. This is something I have been wanting to sit down and write since it happened, but I haven't had the chance until now.


A few weeks ago it was the 11th anniversary of the day I met my husband. That weekend was already insane, what with a birthday party, and a girls' day planned the day before. Still we like to make the day nice. I know it's not our wedding anniversary but it's special to us, as it would be to two people that thought there were destined to be alone in life.

Things were going good. We met with my friends for their daughter's birthday lunch request, and afterward we went to the humane society to hold kittens. What else could make a day more perfect, right?

After we parted ways with my friend and her family we headed home for a little relax before we headed out to do some errands, and that's where shit went all wrong!


I was tired—exhausted—from all the peopling I was doing, but I was fighting through it because I didn't want to have a negative day on our anniversary. My husband had other plans. When we got home he started a conversation, that lead into a debate, that lead into a mild argument for the next two hours. Before he even opened his mouth I was already at my limit, but still I humored him on his little rant. See my husband is someone that needs to talk it out, everything, anything. He's a very logically guy with an intelligent and scientific approach to things. It's a nice to have in a relationship. Very few fights in the 11 years we've been together, but sometimes it's also annoying as piss. This was one of those times.

To sum up what happened, the night before I took one of those silly internet quizzes. “See if you can answer these questions that special FBI agents have to answer.” I got them all right because I watch wayyy too many crime documentaries. When I asked my husband if he wanted to take it, he was game. We often take these quiz things together, a fun little thing we do. I wasn't expecting any problems, but question two had other plans. He said the wording of the second question made it impossible to answer correctly (he had trouble figuring it out, which I have since found out many have had trouble with that question), while I stated you had to use the information in the question and the accompanying picture to get the correct answer. He still stated that even with the picture the wording of the question made it impossible to answer correctly.


I shrugged and said, “fine, whatever it's just a silly test thing. Maybe I got it right because my brain thinks differently.” Meaning I lived a messed up life, and I see the darker side of people. Not a good thing but it has it's benefits.

Over 20 hours later he was still hung up on the fact I saw nothing wrong with how the question was worded, and I didn't understand where he had the problem with the wording. He explained his perspective, and I humored him and explained mine. That's how our disagreements go, we state our different standpoints and then work from there. Thing is he wasn't budging on his point of view, and I wasn't going to relent mine (that is something I would do often in my life before therapy). Half way through the two hour back and forth I tried to end the debate with a simple, “let's agree to disagree. You have you're view point of this question, I have mine.”


It wasn't the end of things. In fact the simple debate quickly escalated from there because I was growing more exhausted and hungry at this point, and my husband would not let me end the matter. He went on, and I started getting pissed off. It was our anniversary, I had made it through the rough part of the day, and all I wanted was to have a nice evening with my husband. Instead he was going on and on about a STUPID question. One he got wrong, so it made this whole thing seem like him trying to save his wounded pride. Which pissed me off even more because I couldn't believe he was being so ridiculous.

Finally, I just said, “Enough!” I got pissy, I stopped talking, and began to shutdown as we went out to finish our errands.


This is the point where I would sit, staring out the window while he drives, stewing and turning my anger inward. Punishing myself—hating myself. Why? Because I see my husband as the most wonderful person in the world. I feel lucky to have him tolerate me because people in my past never did. Also, I've been brainwashed to think everything is always my fault. I'm wrong, I'm bad. . . I'm an awful human being, and I have no right to feel anger at someone far superior to me.

That didn't happen. For once in my life I let the anger stew instead of turning inward on myself. I sat there and thought—really thought—about the conversation we just had, and how insane it was. A random question, on a silly internet quiz. . . why? I mean, am I alone in seeing the nuttiness of this?

The more I thought about it with a rational mind, again another first for me, the more upset I got at my husband until we returned home. I had made up my mind in the car that if he asked me if I was okay, or if I was upset, ect. I was going to let him have it. Something I've never done. Sure enough he asked me a question, and I did what I had made up my mind to do.


I let it all out.

There were tears, out of aggravation more than anything else, and I did raise my voice. I flat out said, “What the hell, man? Why do you care about a stupid question so much? You ruined our special day over a silly, meaningless question and I tried everything I could to get you to drop it. I was understanding, and let you rant on about it but this is too much. Now I'm pissed at you. You ruined the day I was trying so damn hard to make pleasant.”

From here I expected the same reaction I always got in the past. A yelling match, a fight to the bitter end, and me tucking tail and giving in out of pure exhaustion. That didn't happen. Honestly, I was shocked by my husband's response. Humbled, sadden, and deeply regretful he said he was sorry and admitted he was being stubborn (understatement).


Standing there shocked by his reaction, he went on to ask me what I wanted from our night. If this whole thing hadn't happened, what did I hope to do. I told him I wanted to go out to dinner and sit and simply be together with him. He hugged me, tight as hell, and said “then we'll do that.”

It was in that moment, stunned by my husbands acceptance of my anger, that I started to understand all the things my husband and therapist have been trying to telling me through the years. I matter, my anger is valid. More than anything I realized my husband isn't going anywhere.

For me I've felt my relationship is a waiting game—a test—how far can I push him until he gets tired of me. How much of my shit will he put up with before he runs away screaming. . . where is his limit with my bullshit (I believe myself to be an impossible burden). Because that's what I'm used to, people turning away from me.


That day, though, I actually believed what he often tells me, “I'm not going anywhere. No matter what. You're my everything, and I love you.”

It took me 11 years to trust that declaration, but I have more faith in him than I ever did before. I trust him wholly. It's the most priceless gift he could have given me on our anniversary.

#Anniversary #Lovers #BestHusbandEver #MyHero #GreatestGiftEver
~Jax~

No comments:

Post a Comment